We are looking for an experienced field-scale organic vegetable grower
Seed Production Co-ordinator
We need a new team member at Gosberton Bank Nursery. This person will co-ordinate the successful production, harvest and processing of biodynamic vegetable, herb and flower seed crops.
As Seed Production Co-ordinator you would work as part of our team (ultimately responsible to the Managing Director) and your duties and responsibilities will involve co-ordinating the following:-
- planning and implementing annual cropping plans
- implementing the sowing, planting and maintenance of the cropping areas in fields and glasshouses.
- keeping detailed crop records.
- managing and maintaining irrigation systems
- organising and managing the harvesting and processing of seed crops, ensuring clean and tidy areas are maintained to guarantee top quality clean seed.
- identifying and acquiring materials and equipment for crop production and infrastructure maintenance
- initiating the marketing of any fresh produce
- planning and implementing a soil fertility building and manuring plan, including biodynamic preps.
- taking responsibility for the regular maintenance of farm and seed cleaning machinery, and keeping maintenance records up-to-date
Co-ordination will involve working with other members of the team; at times you will need to assist in areas co-ordinated by others, these include:
- assisting with seed packing and order processing.
- moving livestock and assisting with livestock tasks
- supervising the work of apprentices and volunteers
- being prepared to take visitors around and share knowledge of seed production
- Knowledge of organic vegetable, herb and flower production; closed loop growing, crop rotations, compost making, weed management, soil building.
- Tractor driving with a range of implements
- Agricultural machinery maintenance
- Maintenance or workshop machinery, seed processing machinery and hand tools
- Building, glasshouse, irrigation, fencing and general infrastructure maintenance.
- Open communication with other team members
- Work programme planning and ability to manage volunteers as part of a team
- Self-motivated and able to take responsibility
- Basic computer skills
- Management of seed crops
- Seed processing experience
- Good computer skills
- Qualifications in farming, ecology, or sustainable land management
- Experience of biodynamic farming practices
- A deep respect for the earth as a living organism
- Natural team worker
- Openness to learning and adopting biodynamic methods
- Highly organised, taking a systems approach and sensibly tidy
- Adaptable and able to juggle ever-changing priorities
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to: email@example.com by 19th April 2017. Interviews will take place w/c 1 May 2017
A sample employment contract for this post can be downloaded here Seed-Production-Co-ordinator-sample-contract.pdf (110 downloads)